Monday, December 31, 2012

A Fiscal Cliffmas Miracle

So a deal has been reached and the US economy has averted (for now) the fiscal cliff. I don't know the terms of the deal, but let's all be certain of one thing: we may not be going over the cliff, but we're still heading into the canyon.

Our government cannot keep spending more than they're taking in, period. Furthermore, balancing the budget isn't good enough. We need drastic budget cuts to eliminate the budget deficit, produce a surplus, and start paying down the unsustainable national debt.

I'm going to say something that may destroy my credibility as a fiscal conservative: I was almost ready to go over the fiscal cliff. Don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly believe that Washington doesn't have a revenue problem, it has a spending problem. But if I thought for a second that a tax increase and mandatory budget cuts would put us on the right track, I'd fall in line, suck it up, and pay.

America is in a hole. We've already got the wealthy paying way more than a fair share. Middle class families are paying their way. Let's start getting something out of the folks who aren't kicking in anything. 47% of Americans pay no income taxes. That is an immense, untapped tax base. Let's get some cash out of them.

Anyway, maybe it's the few cups of cheer I've had this evening, but I'm rambling.

Merry Fiscal Cliffmas. God bless us, everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment